From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:36:08 -0700
  My suspicion would be that the BIOS code which detects and enables USB
keyboards and mice is being confused by the presence of the hub.  Other
vendors have gotten this right, and so I think it's not too unreasonable to
hope that Shuttle might have a revised BIOS available for your motherboard
that fixes this issue.
  You'll need to determine exactly which Shuttle board you have, and what
BIOS revision it currently has.  (Even if Shuttle's tech support doesn't
recognize your specific issue, they should at least be able to get you that
far and determine if a newer rev is available, and help you install it.)

David Gillett

On 14 Jul 2005 at 16:12, James Edwards wrote:

Date sent:              Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:12:40 -0700
Send reply to:          PCBUILD - Personal Computer Hardware discussion List
From:                   James Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                [PCBUILD] USB Hub not mounting
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> We have a setup where we use a Belkin Switch to share a keyboard,
> mouse and ZIP Drive between a Macintosh and a PC . The switch
> connects to a Bekkin 4 port powered 2.0 USB hub, thhe mouse,
> keyboard, and ZIP drive connect to the hub. This setup works with
> Dells, Gateways, and some "graybox" computers we have. But, we
> recently purchased some Shuttle brand PC's (www.shuttle.com) and in
> every case, the hub is detected, and when the computer loads the
> software (Win XP), it returns an error that "an error was encountered
> and your hardware may not function properly". On a side note while
> the Shuttle is in the BIOS POST stage, the mouse is lit up, when
> Windows XP starts loading, the mouse goes dark. I suspect some
> Shuttle specific driver, but I can't tell which one. I went so far as
> to wipe a drive and load a "vanilla" Windows XP install, and still
> the same thing.  When I go into the Device Manager, there is the
> usual yellow "!" through the device and properties says "this device
> is not working. Could not start (Code 10)" I can attach other USB 2.0
> devices to the Shuttles and they work just fine, the drivers are just
> the standard Windows 2.0 drivers, but the hubs just don't work. I
> have tried several hubs and Shuttles (we have 73 of 'em) and the same
> thing happens to every one of them. Anyone have any ideas?? I've been
> working on this for over a week now, including Shuttle and Belkin
> Tech supports.
>

> THANKS!!!
> --
> James Edwards
> Instructional Technology Consultant
> Instructional Technology Services
> Adams Humanities-1109, MC-8114
> San Diego State University
> San Diego, Ca. 92182-8114
>
>   (619) 594-5727
>   mailto:[log in to unmask]
>   Fax (619) 594-4061
> http://its.sdsu.edu/aboutus/staff.html
>
>             Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>