Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:40:54 +0200
Hi

CRITICAL to a system being used for this is RAM....get at the VERY min
64mb's....I would in fact sacrifice HD space or CPU speed for more
RAM...contrary to popular belief you do not need a Pentium IV 2000mhz
(joke...there is no Pentium IV 2000mhz) you can get by quite nicely with a
Pentium Pro 200mhz although you may wish to get a PII 233mhz with a mobo
that supports PIII chips so that you can easily upgrade later on.
Now to back up my claim...I have a Pentium 100 with 128mb's RAM that runs
PhotoShop and Corel Draw 8 without too much hassle...granted sumtimes it
needs a bit of extra time that a PII 400 wouldn't need....but its a good
opportunity to get up and stretch....take a sip of that cold coffee (at this
point about 1000 people worldwide have just remembered that cup of
coffee/tea) or you can quickly write that long overdue letter to Aunty Hilda
:-)
At any rate a few extra seconds will not kill you.
So for a tight budget...I advise u get more RAM
After you have all the RAM you need then second on your list should be a
nice roomy HD....DriveSpace can only squeeze so much into that 500mb HD.
I recommend at least 4Gig's altho 8 or more would be ideal as you can create
many different partitions (swap file area, compressed area, uncompressed
area etc..) get a SCUZZY drive if possible as ther are faster...plus you can
attach a Scanner to it. Dunno about USB...don't seem to be enough "good"
perhipals supporting it yet
Right now that you have plenty of RAM and HD space...now you should look
into a CPU...preferably get a Pentium II or if your budget won't go there at
least get a Pentium MMX (if you still can) many graphics packages use MMX
extensivly.

Hope that helps
Kevin Hains
Cape Town
South Africa

Hello !
Now I have to do much with graphic ( Photoshop, Corel, Director, Page Maker,
Freehand, Quakexpress ), so I have to buy a new PC.
I don't know which PC's confirguration can help me best. Now I have under
650USD for my new computer. Please help me and give me your advice.
Thanks in advance.
Phat Nguyen