From:
jose castro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:05:41 -0800
Charles,

 It would be best if you change your drive well depending on how old it is and what you gonna do with it. Anyway if you are gonna run a nt based os then it would be best to upgrade and buy a bigger drive since the min. req ask for 30-60 gigs.

Also i don't think theirs anything wrong with the drive since the more you format the more space the formated data takes in other words when you format a drive you are not technicly deleting it might look gone but its always their. for example i had a hard drive that maximum had a hold of 60 gigs after a couple of months (and a couple of formating) it had decrased to 55 gigs despiter the fact that it says it has 60. also when installing a nt os in such a small and probably old drive for some reason it tends to take3-5 gigs of space i've seen it happen a couple of times.

Charles Bennett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I am converting an old server to home use. It had Win2000 server and
Linux installed. But no passwords to gain access. So I have
formatted the hard drive with Win 2000 as per the manual. Everything
is fine, except there is 3gig of space taken up by something. I know
Win2000 cannot be using that much space and I am thinking that the old
OS or something is protected from format.

Any suggestions? It is only a 9gig drive and I hate giving up a third
to something I can't use.

Thanks

Charles Bennet

IBM Z-Pro