From:
Chuck Beaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:25:12 -0500
I am working with a Gateway 3200 PII 300mHz computer. I realize it is an
antique but need to get it working just the same. The computer had been the
host to the Webshots pictures for several years and presented numerous
problems over the past 3 years, mostly dealing with start-up issues and
depleted resource issues.

Just recently, the user has been complaining that the computer would take up
to 3 hours to boot up on our Novell network. The county based tech support
department came to the school and did something to make it work faster,
however, it was still presenting other troubling issues.

I had the computer brought to my room and formated the HDD. We then reimaged
the computer using an image we created for that particular genearation of
computers. Once reimaged, additional software was installed as needed to
customize for the user. The computer booted fine in my classroom and has
also worked fine for the user for the past two days.

All of a sudden, today the computer takes 2 hours to boot up again. I am
bringing the computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse back to my classroom
tomorrow to see if I can replicate the problem by letting the computer set
overnight and then watch the bootup in the AM.

I am questioning the monitor as a possible sorce of problem. I have seen
some of the Gateway monitors take longer than others to receive the first
signals from the computer to turn themselves on. It appears that they are in
some "deep sleep" mode.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Chuck Beaver
Westminster High School