From:
Joyce Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 02:23:47 -0500
My computer is (or was) a custom built (not by me)AMD Duron 1300 on an EPOX 8K3A+ motherboard. It had 256mb ram which I decided to upgrade by adding another bank of 256 ram (different brands). I had added ram to a friend's computer and wasn't too worried about doing it.  I got it in and clicked the clamps into place.  I started it up and got nothing on my screen but a message that it was not connected (it WAS connected)and then rotating colors. The computer was beeping.  I couldn't figure out what was causing it so turned it off.  When I started it again, it kept beeping.  I turned it off again.  Later I turned it on again and the beeping did not return. We got it to recognize the monitor, but startup gets stuck during the boot-up. It won''t go into Windows at all.  Bios doesn't recognize the hard drive, but does recognize the cd drive.  T
ried booting from cd but gets stuck and refuses to go any further.  Safe Mode is no help.  Set Bios to default.  No help.  Startup cpu temp records 46C.  System temp is 39C.  Chassis fan: 0 rpm  CPU fan: 4560 rpm.
Took out hard drive.  It works fine in our other computer, but not the Duron.  Checked the RAM.  They both work fine in the other computer, but not the Duron.  Tried using just the original RAM.  No change.  Is my motherboard/cpu dead?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>