From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:51:12 -0600
Phil, you get the network connection through your PC's modem, so you
cannot use a router in the normal manner as you would through an
ethernet cable.  However, if you have another computer within ethernet
wired distance, you can connect the two through your ethernet ports
using a special cable that connects computer ethernet adapter to another
computer ethernet adapter, sort of like a "null modem" cable.  They are
available in most good computer stores.  You might even be able to use
another ordinary ethernet cable if your adapters are smart enough.  (Two
of the wires are switched on one end, where on a normal ethernet cable
they are not switched.)  I used to connect my computer with my wife's
computer when we had dial-up.  The second computer does not get as fast
a connection as the first computer, and it affects the performance on
the first computer a bit, too, but it is very convenient.

What you might like to have is a wireless transport out of your computer
to the rest of the computers in your house.  I am sure that that can be
done using some sort of wireless dongle, but I have never done it, so
I'll just leave it at that.  If you connect several computers throughout
the house this way, then the program, Network Magic, will solve a lot of
your connection headaches at a cost to you of $50.  (It can be purchased
from Pure Networks.  A free 30 day trial download is available. Google
"Network Magic" to find the Pure Networks web site.) For networking
tyros, Network Magic is well worth the money!

A place like Best Buy can help you connect your computers wirelessly,
whether you share internet or not.

HTH,

Dean Kukral

I have a dial-up connection that connects on average at 48 to 50k. I
found a great deal on a wireless G router and wonder if it would be
possible to use it with dial-up. Hopefully, one day I'll have a faster
connection service but for now I would love to be able to have a
wireless connection throughout the house without the headache of
running new phone lines. My main internet pc is in the basement.

  If I am able to use the router in this way, will I be able to use my
computer to make the connection (perhaps like a server) so whoever
wants to connect wouldn't need to know my log-in password? Or would
they have to have the providers' software installed? I use AOL. Yes, I
know it's really flakey software but I haven't tried any others that
worked better enough to warrent the change over.

  Another possibility would be using another pc I have with a usb
wireless setup upstairs, which is where any guest would be accessing
the net, so I could log on to AOL then let them use this pc. But if a
guest has specific software on their laptop or stored passwords for
what sites they may visit, this could be a problem..

I don't have much network set-up experience so any suggestions would
be most welcome.

-Phil-

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads