Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 23:48:18 -0400
I want to thank everyone who tried to help me with my problem.  I tried all of them without success.  I happen to hear a hint on a radio program about a freezing problem on a computer with an optical mouse.  Besides getting the latest mouse driver (which I had already done), they talked about getting the latest version of Direct X.  I did that about 5 nights ago and have not had a freeze since.

Again thanks to the greatest tech resource around.

Adele Sapilewski

> I am having problems with my computer freezing but not all the time.
> A few nights ago it froze about 10 times in a 2 hour period.
> Yesterday it froze once.  I cannot use Control-Alt-Delete to restart
> the computer.  I must manually shut down and restart the computer.
>
> This is a Intel 600e on a Abit BE6-2 motherboard with 128 mb a ram.
> Plenty of free space with two hard drives for a total of about 40
> gig.  These drives are ATA 66 & 7200 RPM.  Video card is an ATI Rage
> Expert 2000.  Mouse is a USB optical.  Computer has two different
> Ethernet cards.  One for my cable connection and the other for my
> home network.    It has an Adaptec SCSI card and a Creative Labs
> sound card.  Power supply is a 300 watt power supply.
>
> The computer freezes in all different programs (IE, Outlook Express,
> Scandisk, System Information Tools, desktop, etc. )  It even
> sometimes freezes at startup up just after it finishes loading
> Windows.
>
> I have turned off  all the programs in System Configuration Utility
> that I can.  Normally I run Zone Alarm, McAfee VirusScan and Belkin
> Sentry for my UPS and GoBack.  Even with all these programs turned
> off I still get freezes.   I have installed the latest video driver
> and also the latest mouse driver.  I have checked the inside of the
> computer to see that all the cards and the memory are firmly seated.
> Also checked to make sure all the fans were running.  (The CPU fan
> is just a few months old.)  In Bios, temperatures of the CPU are
> well below the danger point.
>
> I did a thorough scan disk of all the drives, defragged all the
> drives and checked for viruses with the latest McAfee dats.  I have
> deleted all   my cookies and temp files.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas to what could be causing the freeze ups?
>
> Adele Sapilewski

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com