From:
john freibergs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 06:05:37 -0800
Hi,

I had bought a 3Com modem 2 or 3 years ago.  It
definitely was not plug and play.  You had to run the
install program first and then install the modem.  If
you did it any other way it would not work.  And it
would do no good to unistall the 3Com program because
it leaves 3 or 4 files behind that prevent proper
installation.  I had to contact the help line at 3Com
and have the tech talk me through manually deleting
certain files. I returned the modem and went with a
plug and play brand.

John

--- Kevin Carlson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> You may need to first install a driver from floppy
> or CD, before
> installing the hardware.  Did you receive either of
> these?
> If the driver is not the issue, check the vendor's
> web site for more info...
>
> Kevin
>
> Charles Bennett wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I'm having trouble installing an internal modem
> board.  I've done this
> >before without problem on different machines.
> >
> >IBM Z Pro
> >P3 550 x two
> >1 gig memory
> >Win2k Pro clean legal install
> >10/100 Ethernet
> >TXTR laser
> >
> >On PCI3 I am inserting a 3COM 56k data/fax modem.
> Upon boot, it is
> >not recognized in plug and play.  When I add it
> manually, it does not
> >work.
> >
> >I have tried removing the Ethernet and laser boards
> and inserting the
> >modem in their slots.  Upon boot up, it recognizes
> something new, but
> >cannot identify it.  Again, when I add it manually,
> it does not work.
> >
> >I've tried two different modems and still cannot
> get it.  Do I need to
> >install a third COM?
> >
> >I know little more than how to turn a computer on.
> >
> >:-)
> >
> >Charles Bennett
> >Chambersburg, PA
> >
> >              The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free
> PC Tech
> >                     support at our newest website:
> >                          http://freepctech.com
> >

>                The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now
> offering
>               Mandrake Linux or Red Hat Linux CD
> sets along
>              with the OpenOffice CD...  at a great
> price!!!
>
> http://freepctech.com/goodies/promotions.shtml

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

           The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donations to help
          defer the costs of providing PCBUILD and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using PAYPAL