From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 02:45:31 -0500
At this point you may be better off continuing the Windows re-install.
Just copy your important files and settings to a CD or other medium,
insert the XP CD and follow the prompts.
You could also try a system restore to a point before the initial error.
It's possible this is a problem with the boot.ini file (C:\boot.ini)
Post a copy of this file and we may be able to help with it.
See this MS KB article for more info:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022

Sheryl wrote:
> For the past few weeks everytime I restarted my computer, I would get a m
> essage saying that windows "did not start because file sym_hi.sys is corr
> upted." Then i would press enter and windows would start.
>
> I decided to reinstall windows.... at the beginning during copying instal
> lation files an error pops up that says:
> An error occured copying file sym_hi.sys to C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\sym_hi.sy_.
> -data error (cyclic redundancy check)-
>
> I decided to cancel the setup, but now when I restart my computer i get a
>  message saying:
> windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
>  <windows root>\system32.hal.dll please re-install a copy of the above fi
> le
>
> if i press enter windows will start but weird things keep hapenning like
> a physical dump of the memory, and thats hasnt happend on this computer s
> ince i got it 2 years ago
>
> i have done spyware removal, virus removal, defragment, error check, clea
> nup...
> i have windows xp professional, can anyone help me, oh an its a laptop...
>
> if you need any other info email me @ [log in to unmask]
>
> anyone who can help me would me greatly appreciated
> thank you
> sheryl

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml