From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:24:24 +0100
>I am thinking about upgrading an old 486DX33 with 30 pin simms. I have no
>manual or identification for the board.

There were two posts on May 16 which may help you find info on it.
Subject: Re: [PCBuild] Motherboard ID # Location:
(I have forwarded these privately to Mark)

><snip> This has a CPU board that isn't a Ziff socket....Do you just
>manually pull them out and push them in....or is there a trick to it?

There are special tools, but you can sometimes use a screwdriver,
or make a small L-shaped prybar with a sharp blade to slot between
the chip and the socket.

*Note the position of pin 1 before you start - it's easier then.*

Work moving around the chip and alternating sides so you keep it level
as you ease it free. This usually takes 2 to 3 leverings per side.
Avoid levering on any surrounding components (this can be a problem
using a screwdriver on some boards).
Take care as it comes free so you don't flip it over,
bending the last few pins - assuming you might want to reuse it.

>The 30 pin memory array is the usual 8 slots <snip>
>can I leave 4 megs in and replace 4 with 4 meg 30 pin simms or do
>some 30 pin boards require particular memory configurations.

It is probably safer to put the larger simms in the lower-address
bank - some boards will not recognise large after small, but anyway
it isn't a very time consuming experiment unless access is bad.

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> WWW Pager http://wwp.mirabilis.com/10120933