From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:13:55 -0500
HI:

1. Did you check the PB website for CD-ROM data?

2. Have you actually looked at the physical CD-ROM to determine what
brand it is or what it may "emulate?" There should be a Website
(including PB's) which provides further info. If there is no driver on
their website, that info should help Win98 determine a driver. (Lately,
most CD's can use some form of Windows generic driver.) You'll need to
create a startup disk including the specific or generic driver for the
CD, after that, Windows driver will be installed. Or...

3. If you watch the sale flyers of major retail players (CompUSA, Best
Buy, Staples, etc, etc) you can buy a new CD for anywhere from free to
$10 after rebate. It will come with a driver or be able to use a standard
Win98 CDROM driver.

The key is to get a driver copied to the startup floppy so your system
can then access the CDROM where the OS is.

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 13:50:40 -0500 William Maher <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> OK, here goes, my girlfriend, on the advice of a friend, decided to
> try and
> fix a problem with her Packard Bell Legend 2440. She deleted her OS
> and
> tried to reformat the HD. The old OS was Win 95. She tried to
> install Win
> 98. She did not save any of the driver information from the original
> OS and
> the new ( necessary ) cd-rom driver is not on the 98 bootdisk.
> I have tried to find the necessary driver on the net with absolutely
> no
> luck. I cannot access any of the information from the computer
> because
> there is not an OS on the hard drive.
> I have have tried to do a clean install ( partition, format ) with
> no luck
> because, as I have mentioned earlier, the 98 bootdisk does not
> include the
> necessary CD-Rom driver (I am not even sure of the make of the
> CD-Rom is).

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>