From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 03:28:58 -0800
On 4 Feb 2003, at 8:07, James Maki wrote:

> 1) Three computer network (WinXP, WinME, Linux), trying to add a laptop.

> 2) WinXP, Linux, WinME can all access Internet thru a common broadband
> connection.

  Good...

> 3) WinXP and WinME can "see" and ping each other. (Linux system is another
> story)

  Hmmm.  This *may* indicate that the existing network already has "issues"
that somehow don't prevent #2.

> 4) Laptop is set up with same workgroup. It seems to be getting an IP
> address.

  As I recall, 95 doesn't have ipconfig.exe, just winipcfg.exe.  Can you use
something like SnagIt (download free evaluation version) to capture the
winipcfg window and email it to me?  Perhaps there's a clue there.  [If you
do have ipconfig.exe somehow on the laptop, a copy of the output from
"ipconfig /all" would be helpful.]

> 5) I cannot ping from the Win95 laptop. MS-DOS window produces fatal
> error/BSD. This may or may not be related?

  Does anything else run in a DOS window?  Built-in commands like "dir" and
"echo"?  Windows apps like "notepad"?
  Someone already suggested that this sounded like a corrupted OS install.
Can we eliminate that possibility somehow?

> 6) The confusing issue is that the laptop seems to be connecting to the
> network and getting an IP address, but can not see or be seen by the rest of
> the network computers.

  What address does it seem to be getting?  (Since this is behind ICS, it
will be a private address and so there's no risk that anyone reading this
list could use it to attack your network.)

David Gillett