From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:18:17 -0700
Go to device manager and double click on "universal serial bus controller".
Then highlight what shows and click properties. Then click on driver files
to see if they are installed.  If not, click on update driver.  You need to
find these two files:
1. c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys; 2.
c:\windows\system\vmm32\ntkern.vxd. If you don't have these two files you
can extract them from the installation disk (if you have Win 98) using
system file checker (SFC).  Go to start/run and type in SFC and click OK or
hit enter.  Then you need to click the radio button on "extract a single
file..."  Fill in the file you want and instruct it to install it in the
appropriate directory as shown above.  When you have both files properly in
place you can click on update driver.  You'll have to manually tell it where
these files are located in the dialog box that will pop up when it cannot
find the files.  There is a usb.inf file that will do the install located in
c:\windows\inf.  If you type in that file Windows will do the install from
"update driver" when you get the wizard.  You will still have to tell
Windows where these files are located.  It will not look in system for them
because they are supposed to be updated files.  If the files are already in
place the update feature will not work.

On a shutdown/restart Windows  should find them and install the software for
them unless the problem is more serious.  Have you booted into safe mode to
check device manager to see if they show up?

Subject: [PCBUILD] USB ports

Can you help me, I somehow lost my usb ports. They are part of the
motherboard. I now installed a pci to usb card and have usb that way but
qould like to get the original working again. Thanks Lee Haffner

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml