From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:16:21 -0700
  I honestly don't know whether ICS *can* be used to share a
dialup modem connection.  Dialup connections top out at 53 Kbps,
and Ethernet connections slower than 10 Mps (200x faster!) have
been obsolete for years.  It's not the speed alone; running a
TCP/IP network protocol on top of a dial-up modem connection is
a bit of a hack, and it's possible that ICS never learned to
cope with that.

  Hugh is correct that *in most cases* a router (with internal
switch) is a better way to share a "high speed" internet
connection with multiple computers, but with only two machines
to connect, a hub will take care of the crossover issue
switch, more than one machine can be sending at the same time,
whereas on a hub they must take turns).  Not a difference you
would be likely to notice.

  Networked computers generally used TCP/IP (the other choices
have become pretty much extinct), and so each needs an IP
address.  ICS is very strict about assigning an address to the
machine that is sharing its Internet connection, and will offer
compatible addresses to all other machines on the same network
segment (which, however, must be configured to make use of what
they are offered...).  So ICS users don't really have a choice
about what addresses are used, and generally don't need one; if
the addresses ICS wants to use don't work for you, your network
is too complicated for ICS anyway.

[Here I began to write a textbook about IP addressing, but you
don't need it.]

  There is a command-line (old-timers probably still think of it
as "the DOS prompt"...) utility in Windows to show the
configuration of network addressing:  ipconfig.  For most
complete information, the command is "ipconfig /all".  And of
course you can redirect the output into a text file which can
make copying and pasting it into an emal message easier.

  We *should* see that ICS has given Raymond's Computer its
server address configuration and that Margaret's Computer is set
to accept and use whatever configuration Ray's tells it to use.
If we see anything else, we'll have a pretty good idea where the
problem lies.

David Gillett
CISSP CCNP

From:           	Joyce A <[log in to unmask]>