From:
"Susan S. Hays" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:35:32 EST
I need to purchase an APC Battery Backup for my computer.  I am thinking of
the APC 650VA.  I live out in the country and I have constant surges and
power outages for no apparent reason.  These occurances I feel are playing
havoc on my computer.  I have already had to replace my hard drive.  Whether
it was due to the power outages and surges I really don't know.  I have a
dial-up connection with a second phone line.  So at night and on the
weekends, my computer stay on.  I shut it down during the day while I am at
work or not at home.  I have a Gateway Pentium III, 1000, with soon to have
512MB of Ram.  I currently only have 256.  Anyway, I was wondering whether
the APC 650 is an overkill or not.  Any feedback would appreciated since the
sale goes off in a couple of days.  Or any specific recommendations would be
appreciated also.  I don't know much about the battery backup selection, but
I do want one that will be sufficient and have automatic shutdown software
when my computer is on and a surge or outage takes place.

Thanks in advance.
Susan Hays