From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 07:59:32 -0600
At 09:25 PM 06/06/2000 , Patrick Black wrote:
>Can someone shed some light on ULTRA ATA 100.  Many of the new HDs are ATA
>100 capable, but there aren't any controllers. Maybe someone could shed
>some light on this?

The ATA/100 or UltraDMA100 IDE interface is the next logical
upgrade and was patented by Quantum this year, providing
free licensing to hard drive and PC makers, (in other words the
standard is available to everyone).

The new technology is backwardly compatible with earlier UDMA33
and UDMA66 drives, but it does require the the 80-pin low-noise
ribbon cables first introduced for ATA/66 drives.

Currently, there are numerous motherboard manufacturers that have
announced up coming motherboards with this controller onboard, including
ABIT's KA7-100.   http://www.abit.com.tw

Right now, Siig does not seem to be offering a UDMA100 controller,
but Promise has a card available for upgrading existing systems:
    http://www.promise.com/Products/idecards/u100.htm

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,