From:
Thomas Harold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:11:29 -0400
Lewis c Emerson wrote:
> The info below on grounding is that offered by Crucial, one of the major
> suppliers of computer memory.  The complete instruction set is available
> from their web site at www.crucial.com - I feel sure that other
> manufacturers/distributors, etc will also offer suggestions an/or advice.

(chuckles) I went and looked through their site... they're not always
consistent about the power-cord step.

http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.asp?qid=3648
"Unplug the computer power cord. (It's OK to unplug your accessories,
too, if you like.)"

http://www.crucial.com/install/videocard7585.asp
"Leave the computer power cord plugged in. (It's OK to unplug your
accessories if you like.)"

However, the majority of the pages still include the outdated
recommendation to leave the power-cord plugged in.  The notebook
(so-dimm) memory page tells you to unplug, remove the battery, and use
the power-switch to drain power from inside the unit before a memory swap.

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads