From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 21:57:07 -0500
At 04:45 PM 3/7/1998  Dan Ellis  wrote:

>I have had a pentium200 machine lock up any input from the
>keyboard.  I have replaced the keyboard twice, same thing.
>I even tried a different brand of keyboard on the third try.
>I installed a new logic board, no luck.
>
>It will lock up at random points-while typing, when left alone
>etc.   I have a fully functional desktop (win95) and can use
>the mouse with no trouble, but no keyboard.  Any thoughts?
>
>It is a standard Asus board-Intel 200mmx-32meg ram-3.2g quantum.

Dan:

When you say you installed a new logic board, do you
mean a new motherboard?

There is a Keyboard BIOS on the MOTHERBOARD
which will sometimes go bad, but if you replaced the
motherboard, the keyboard BIOS wouldn't be the
problem (nor the main BIOS, nor IRQ 1, nor the BUS
lines carrying keyboard signals, nor the port).

Perhaps the Power Supply is flaky. The power to the
keyboard may be insufficient for the keyboard's processor
and circuits, or too much, which would disable the keyboard
circuitry.

There may be a ground/short at a point on your motherboard,
near the keyboard circuit, by the mounting SCREW & POST.
Check there.

If you are running Win95, you could check to see if the correct
Keyboard is selected and configured (check in the control panel).

What happens during the POST? Do the keyboard lights
flicker normally? Does the Cap Lock light toggle on and off when
you press that key? Do you get beeps if you keep a key pressed
during POST?

Let us know what happens.

Regards,

John Chin