From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:40:44 -0800
On 23 Jul 98 at 10:30, Terry Hardy wrote:

> I know a connect speed of 115,200 is impossible, so why doesn't it
> show the actual speed any more?  I haven't made any other settings
> changes.

  It shows the speed that the modem reports.  Many modems have
offered a choice, via an "AT" command, to specify which speed the
modem should report.  There have been numerous reports that people
flash-updating X2 and/or K56Flex modems to v.90 (the new official
standard) seem to have lost this choice, and like yourself now see
only the relatively useless modem-to-CPU rate.
  Since this is a new modem you've bought instead of a flash upgrade
to an existing modem, you might have better luck locating an option
to change this behaviour than I've heard reported elsewhere.

David G