From:
"Rand M. Blunck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:15:03 -0700
>>This system came in for more RAM and a new CD-Rom drive as the other one
>>would drop discs and or not read.  They are also complaining about the
>>sound in some of their games.
>>

>I have seen this one many times and it is always an IRQ issue.

>Games are typically the worst written software applications.  They
>work best when they get a sound IRQ they expect, such as IRQ5
>or 7.  We know that Windows loves to be creative with PCI sound
>card IRQs and often moves it to IRQ9 or another one.  You may
>need to disable PCI IRQ Steering in order to move the IRQ for
>a SB128 card back to IRQ5...   but, I am willing to bet that it
>will solve all the problems.

Good chance Bob is right, but before changing the IRQ Steering, you might
first check the DMA setting on the new CD in the Device Manager.  They often
install with DMA off and games often require DMA on for steady background
music.

Some games also require reduced or no hardware acceleration for correct
sound as well.

Rand Blunck
Why Not Try Computing
Glendale, AZ