From:
Steve Polatas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:58:57 -0400
Richard,

If, in fact, both computers connect when connected directly to the cable modem, your network settings are probably correct and I would suspect one of two problems.  First of all, your ISP (Time Warner Cable) uses DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) to assign IP addresses to computers on its network.  Each time a computer connected to one of its cable modems initializes, a unique IP address is assigned to it.  Standard Roadrunner monthly service only assigns a single IP address per modem.  The extra $10 per month that you are paying is so that a second IP address can be assigned to your modem.  Roadrunner may not be allowing that second IP address to be assigned.  The second possibility, and the more likely one, is that your cable modem is not correctly connected to your hub.  The cable modem must be connected to the UPLINK port of your hub.  Your two PC's can connect to any of the remaining ports.  I would check to make sure that the modem is connected to the correct port.  If it is, I would then call TWC and have them check to make sure that your account is set to receive two IP addresses.

As an aside to this subject, Linksys has an internet connection sharing device called the Etherfast Cable/DSL Router.  It replaces your hub and allows up to four PC's to share a single IP address simultaneously as well as providing security for connected PC's.  Go to linksys.com and have a look.  You can pick it up for less than $150 and it would save you that extra $10 per month.

Please feel free to get back with me if you continue to have connection problems.

Steve Polatas

<begin original message>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 17:45:28 -0400
From: Richard Lumley <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Networking Problem

I am having a problem with 2 networked computers being online at the
same time. I got hooked up to Time Warner Roadrunner about 10 days ago.
A service man did my networking and everything worked fine for about a
week. A few days ago my secondary computer wouldn't connect to the
internet. I have a 5 port ethernet hub. I come out of the cable modem,
into the hub. I then use 2 ports to hook to the primary and secondary
computers. I can bypass the hub, hook directly into the cable modem and
the secondary computer connects. I can hook the primary computer
directly into the cable modem and that works. I just can't run both
computers online at once. When I run thru the hub, the primary computer
is always online, but the secondary computer won't go online. Just keep
getting a check server message. I think it must be something in the
network settings on the secondary computer. My son uses this and I don't

know if something got changed or not. Roadrunner will not give me any
support on networking, even thought I pay $10.00 a month for the 2nd
computer.
I only want to use the computers for internet sharing, not file and
printer sharing.
Primary Computer:
450 Compaq Pentium lll
windows98