From:
Sunil Bector <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:25:16 -0400
Hey,

I bought my card last summer for the same reason.  I purchased the 3Com
Etherlink XL 3C900--TPO card.  It's a PCI card, and I was told that the PCI
would perform better if my machine accepted it.  I'm not too sure of this,
though, so you might want to get someone else's opinion.  I bought it for a
total of $60.68 from Comp USA.  I've never had any problems setting it up
or using it, but  my University is upgrading to 100BaseT in the near
future, so I'll now have to purchase another card if I want to take
advantage of that.  You might want to go ahead and buy a card that supports
both... it'll cost more, but it'll save you money in the long run.  Plus
you can use it for a cable modem in the future.

Sunil

At 04:17 AM 6/19/99 , you wrote:
>I will be attending college in the fall and there is Internet access
>available in my room via a TCP/IP ethernet port network. Therefore, I am now
>in the market for a ethernet card. I do not know much about these cards or
>networks, so I thought I would pose some questions to this adroit group. I
>believe the card must be compatible with a 10BaseT ethernet connection.
>
>1)  Which would be faster for this connection, an ISA or PCI card.
>2)  Are some brands/models/features faster than others? More reliable?
>3) The college reccomends using a 3COM Etherlink III 10baseT Ethernet card,
>such as the 3C509 or 3C900 ethernet card. Does anyone else on this list
>support this? Are there other cards out there that would do the same job for
>less money?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Chuck Hassenplug
>
>            Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org