From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:17:02 -0700
  I use dialup from Windows 2000 Pro, and I used to have very similar
issues.  It got to where I would constantly ping a router where I work, and
round-trip times were often more than a second.

  One of the clues was that this was with a 56K modem.  My wife uses a
33.6K, and never had any such problem.  So my suspicion was that it was some
sort of negotiation issue between my modem and the ISP's modems.  Often if I
would dial right back in, I'd get a connection that would last for much
longer, suggesting some ISP modems were "friendlier" than others.

  My ISP recommended that I add 2-3 commas after the phone number in my dial-
up configuration, causing a slight pause which would allow the line/modem to
stabilize before trying to negotiate a connection speed.
  It worked!  Line drops have become much less frequent, and pings to that
router are now usually about 1/8 second, which is much more like it.

  Try it, and see if this fixes your issue, too.

David Gillett

On 23 Aug 2004 at 10:41, gregory Moyer wrote:

> My os is xp home edition. I use a modem to dial up a connection to isp.
> my connection is being dropped frequently, and at times when I try to access a
> web page I get page cannot be displayed. My isp says the problem is on my end.
> How can I troubleshoot this?

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml