From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:49:56 -0400
I couldn't find much on the Asus SP97-V board.  Looks like it supports the
cyrix m2 300 mhz, Intel Pentium I mx233 mhz, and the AMD K6.  I saw
newsgroup postings saying the AMD K6-2 can be installed with some
overclocking handiwork.  I would suggest one of the K6-2 models that do not
run at 100 mhz front side bus, in particular the 266,  300/66mhz, 333, or
380.  At least multiplier setting or 4 is required and 5 or 5.5 will give
you the higher speeds when you overclock the 66mhz to 75 or 83. You can
also, for the least hassle, get an Evergreen AMD K6-2 Socket Seven Upgrade
cpu that has a little compatibility converter built-in so it is ready to go
out of the box.  Two things to consider is price, I'd be looking for a real
bargain before I would bother, and memory, I would never again hassle with a
socket seven board if it was equipped with 72 pin EDO memory.  You need to
have a working SDRAM 168 pin module installed, preferrably a 128 meg but no
less than 64 meg, to make a cpu switch worth it.  Otherwise the cyrix you
have is performing about as good as you can expect, so why pull it.
Tom Turak