From:
Derek Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:34:32 -0400
Mark,
    I had a similar situation but with a twist.  I worked at a place that
bought Dell computers.  My boss bought us all new ones and I had been using
a memorex CD-RW for years to keep backups of software installers and program
notes.  What I failed to notice and even worse was not informed of was the
new CD burner drive was designed for high speed read/write.  My CD-RW was
not designed for that.  When I did the next "backup" it totally wrecked it.
I couldn't read or recover any data.  Technology moved on and I was the
victim...

Derek

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> All CD/DVDs are very sensitive to heat. I have known people who have lost
> whole stacks of them when they stored them in a location, where the sun
> could get to them.
> I also have 100 old Memorex CDs that I can't write to in my newest PC, but
> if I put them in my oldest PC they work fine. I have no idea why.
>
> Mark Rode
>

>  The other disc simply sites there without being recognized. I can't even
>> erase them.
>>

>> I would like to know if this is a common occurrence? The lesson to me is
>> that you can't rely on the DVD+RW for safe keeping of your important data!
>>
>> Peter Shkabara
>>

>        PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>                    visit our download web page at:
>                 http://freepctech.com/**downloads.shtml<http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml>

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>