From:
Brad Boutwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:16:04 -0500
Martin's advice is rock solid...your monitor is your only long-term
investment you can count on...

****************************

This is exactly right...frequent upgrades.  That's the ONLY reason I sell
PC's, to dump out-of-date components and continuously upgrade (yes, buys DO
know they are getting used stuff).  Pick your computer budget and maximize
your return from that money.  Budget over time, not a lump sum.  Also, for
the dream machine, I recommend the Viper 770 Ultra/32.  The standard has a
heat sink that really cooks.  The Ultra has heat sink with cooling fan and
options for "overclocking".  128MB RAM not 64.  Use your existing stereo
system and save on buying separate speakers (shielded output cable
suggested).  Sink money in a monitor, it will hold value well.  Get a sturdy
250W+ case and you can use it forever (no favorite brand, but usually you
get what you pay for with a case).
Martin Kurr
email [log in to unmask]
*