From:
Ray Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 05:55:40 -0700
Hello,

I'm not seeing any real indication that you have a power supply problem,
and think that it is more likely that the bearing lubrication in those
two fans has diminished to low enough levels over time, that they are
having difficulty rotating easily.

Both fans can be replaced, but the one in the power supply will involve
a more careful and elaborate disassembly, with the additional need to
exercise caution not to get severely shocked, by touching certain
components (namely capacitors) within the power supply while it is open,
even when it is completely unplugged from any power source.

Capacitors are usually cylindrical in shape, but may also be in the
shape of a thin disc. Both types have two wires protruding only from
their bottom end on the cylindrical ones, or from their lower edge in
the case of the disc shaped ones, which run into the circuit board. They
will be marked in the unit farads, denoted by a lower case "f" after a
leading number, or micro farads, which are specified with the addition
of the micro symbol, which looks quite a bit like the letter "u" with an
extra, longer tail dropping down below the base level of the letter on
it's left side, followed by the lower case "f". Those two markings are
of course again preceded by a number value.

You might first try a light application of Three in One Oil, or a
similar lubricant, to the bearings in those fans, which may or may not
get them working better again for a while.

Later, Ray Parrish

Joe Trimarchi wrote:
> I have an HP Pavilion running Win XP SP3. On Friday it suddenly shut down
> while I was using it. I have no idea what happened and pressing the on/off
> button didn't do anything until I pulled the plug and then plugged it back
> in. It did restart and I continued to use it throughout the day. The
> following morning it was off when I went to use it and again I had to pull
> the plug and then plug it back in to get it to restart. It dawned on me that
> it might be overheating but I don't know how to tell. Anyway I opened the
> case and could see that 2 out of 3 fans were not running.
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com
Poetry from the mind of a Schizophrenic
http://www.writingsoftheschizophrenic.com/

                     visit our download web page at: