From:
"Hachmeyer, Mr. Paul S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 2009 08:28:45 -0400
In the olden days, win98, etc. there was a dos format command  format/MBR.  I haven't done much work on xp or vista systems, you might want to do some investigation on the web to see how to wipe the MBR, or if it might cause the hd to become unusable.   I had done it on older operating systems to resolve problems.
Paul Hachmeyer