From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:28:17 -0500
You have two disk drives.   You can copy anything you are afraid to lose to
the 6.4 GIG drive before you clean off the 20 GIG drive.

For upgrading your windows, you got some choices.
First, I would try to overinstall the ME on top of the existing windows
folder.  This will leave some junk remnants, but I have systems that were
installed with 3 versions of windows, one on top of the other, and they run
fine.
Second, if you have programs you can't live without and you don't have the
means to reinstall them because of legacy (old programs) or licensing
issues, you can try and get by with doing nothing except what ME prompts you
for, with its 'new hardware found' wizard.  Depending on the motherboard
drivers, (built-in sound, modem, USB ports, etc) and the newness of the
chipset, (old chipsets will have the necessary stuff installed by the ME cd,
since they were around when ME was released), you will have to use the
motherboard's driver cd to get everything working right.  This is not so bad
to do.  I have tried it and you can get all the hardware working properly.
If things get desperate, you can always go back and format C: and start a
fresh windows install, because you have the vital stuff over on the 6 gig
drive.

Last, you could just upgrade your windows.  Install the new motherboard,
etc.  Then run a windows upgrade, to win2000 or XP.  This will fix
everything and preserve as much of your installed software as possible.
Besides, the NT based 2000 and XP versions of windows are much better at
dealing with hardware than ME was.
Tom Turak