From:
"Tommy Holmes, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:33:05 -0500
Well, we did remove the NIC from the Network Configuration dialogue box and
that appeared to remove all the protocols as well.  Confirmed in
Settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manager that adapter was no longer
reflected as an installed device.  Cold-booted the computer and when it
recognized the installed NIC, it searched for the driver files.  It located
and installed the supporting files and in the process appears to have
re-installed Win98SE TCP/IP protocol.  In the process, it repeatedly
remarked that the files to be installed were older than the existing files
and inquired if we wanted to retain the newer.  We answered "No" and
perceived that the older files then overwrote the existing installation.
Isn't that how one "reinstalls" the TCP/IP stack?

Historically, when all possible explanations of a network failure are
exhausted, we just replaced the NIC and it seems often to be the solution to
an inexplicable situation.  What of that?