From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:17:59 -0700
How the broadband signal arrives to you from the ISP is not a security
issue for you to be concerned about. Once the signal is there, you will use
some kind of a modem, in this case, probably provided by them, which will
output  the signal to you via a normal TCP/IP CAT5 cable. Then you either
plug it directly into your computer, or into a router, depending on need,
and budget

It is at this point that you need to set up your security, but you do so
exactly like you would for any other Broadband provider. Hardware router
with firewall, wireless, wired, or both. Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Software
firewall, Non IE browser, maybe file encryption, depending on how far you
want to go. The same sort security measures you would do for Cable, or DSL.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/

>I have been informed of a local company that offers a  high speed
>conection using microwave relay towers on nearby mountain tops (
>_www.planetc.com/Wireless/index.html_
>(http://www.planetc.com/Wireless/index.html)  ).  The
>cost compared to satellite is much cheaper and I wonder if any of you have
>experience or knowledge of the system and if using such a system in a safe
>secure way could be done reliably with software firewall and security or
>if a
>"hardware" router would be preferable for security. Or possibly a combo of
>the
>two.
>  Sick of dial-up,
>Phil Williams