From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 14:45:48 -0500
At 12:08 PM 12/18/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>Most of the printers I have looked at have a maximum sheet size of 8-1/2 x 14
>>inches.  Any pointers toward larger format printers will be appreciated.
>
>Many of today's standard printers have these capabilities.  Personally
>I use a HP Deskjet 895CXi and it allows for printing of banners and
>posters in 4sheet x 4sheet format, 3x3 sheet format and 2x2 sheet
>format.   We printed a 4foot long banner that was 8.5" wide with it
>recently.  I am sure others offer some of these features also...  you
>just need to investigate them more closely.
>
>This Deskjet is the fourth printer I have bought from HP over the last
>five years and I am pleased with the quality...  I only wish they did not
>wear out about every two years.
>
>    Bob Wright
>The NOSPIN Group

Just to add to Bob's comments, I recently went printer shopping.  I found a
wide range of printers that offered everything from high quality pictures
to blazing speed.  These were ink/bubble jet printers.  There was a model
by Cannon...I believe it was the BJC-5100...that will do 11"x17" paper as
well as banners, posters and a multitude of other media.  Amazingly, this
printer was only $149 at a local Best Buy store.  I have no personal
experience with the Canon printers, but my Mother-in-law has a BJC-1000
that has proved extremely reliable (albeit extremely S L O W) over the last
6 months or so.

Personally I went for the HP 812C which suits my needs just fine.  I have
experienced the same problems as Bob with my HP's (my last was the 855C)
wearing out in about 2-3 years.  They are great printers.  I wonder why HP
does that?  Maybe to sell a new printer every two years?  Nah!!

Eric

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html