From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 10:17:22 -0500
Alan, first let me clarify a couple of things.  The scanner and printer are
on a printer (LPT) port (Female 25 pin) and not a serial (COM) port (male
25 pin).   You should have 2 serial ports on the motherboard and one
printer port.  One serial port is connected to the mouse and the other
should be free.  If you are looking in the Device Manager to see the COM
ports, the one used by the modem is probably not shown under Ports if you
have an internal modem. You will need to look under Modem to see the serial
port used. The two COM ports that you list are probably the ones on the
back of the PC, with (a guess) the mouse connected to COM3. You can find
out which port the mouse is on by going to the Mouse Icon in the Control
panel. Also looking in the Device Manager you can find out if the interrupt
that is assigned to the "non-mouse" COM port is also used by any other
device.  If it is, then you will have problems downloading your pictures
from the camera and will need to re-assign the IRQ's (another post).  If
not, you need to note the COM port number that is free and use it in
setting up your download software. I'm not familiar with the HP C200 setup
program but if it asks for the number of the COM port you will need to
enter the COM port number you are using there.  Also I've found that with
some of the camera setup programs need to have the serial port connected to
the camera when you boot up before running the setup for it to "see" the
camera.  You may need to un-install the camera program and reinstall.

Let us know if you need more help.

Doug

At 1/2/01 08:54 PM, A&C Thompson wrote:
>I have a new Hewlett Packard C200 digital camera, but I can't seem to
>download its contents to my pc.
>As I have no usb ports, I specifically bought a serial port model.
>It came with a 9-pin female cable, but the only 9-pin port is being used
>by my mouse. I knew this in advance, so I purchased an adapter which would
>allow me to use the free 25-pin male serial port. (The 25-pin female
>serial port is being used by the scanner, with a pass-thru for the
>printer.) Presently, everything works fine, except the camera.
>Hopefully, someone can spot my problem from the following settings in
>Device Manager...(Win95b)
>
>Standard MS serial mouse
>COM2...02F8-02FF IRQ 3    (modem?)
>COM3...03E8-03EF IRQ 11  (?)
>LPT1.....0378-037B IRQ 7    (printer)
>
>I tried changing ''on-board serial port 2'' to com4, and lost my mouse.
>Any thoughts? Need more info? Any help that anyone can offer will be
>greatly appreciated. It must be so simple, that I can't see the problem.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>