From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:12:03 -0800
I have a shared Lexmark Z52 installed on a Win2000 Server. I had it
installed on this exact server for four months with no problems. I did a
new install on the Server...Same setup ..same hardware...just a new clean
install with the latest drivers. I installed the printer as a shared device
exactly as it was before. It works but now I am having one annoying problem.

When I print either directly from the server or the LAN I get a notice that
the printer can't be found. Clicking cancel on the dialog box that appears
from the Lexmark driver software on the SERVER where the printer is
physically installed starts the printing process. From then on it will
usually work OK until a reboot or a new client prints and once again I will
have to screw with it.

I have gone over the Lexmark FAQs and troubleshooting pages and have
discovered that this has to do with Bidirectional printing communication. I
have gone over every setting and hardware component.
I am using a high quality Parallel HP bidirectional printer cable
The Bidirectional printer setting IS checked on the local and all client
printer setup boxes.
When installing the drivers on either SERVER or the clients there was no
errors warnings..everything went perfect.
I had a perfect working setup with this hardware and OS prior to the
re-install.
Hardware hasn't changed..setup is the same...driver is the same. The only
new thing is the clean install and this problem.

Besides checking the settings a couple of dozen times I have removed the
printer..the drivers and all Lexmark software...cleaned  the registry and
then reinstalled. Same problem.
Everything appears to be correct...any ideas

thanks

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml