From:
E B Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:23:47 -0500
I have a 6 year old 400 Mhz Pavilion 8380 with Windows 98 and recovery discs HP# 5011-6391 & 92.  I have acquired HP Pavilion recovery discs HP 5011-9439 & 40 with 98SE packaged with what appears to be a bar code inventory number 5065-2208.  On the CD case cover it states "These CDs contain a backup copy of all software originally installed and can ONLY be used with an HP Pavilion PC."

The discs themselves state "Support for the operating system is provided by HP.  This CD contains a backup copy of all software originally installed and can ONLY be used with an HP Pavilion PC.  Refer to the instructions printed on the back of the HP Pavilion Recovery CD cover insert when using this CD.  For Distribution only with an HP Pavilion PC."

On the instructions printed on the back of the CD cover, it again says it "can ONLY be used with an HP Pavilion PC."  And further down, "The Recovery CD is licensed for use with your HP Pavilion PC and must be accompanied by a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity"  although the disk didn't come with one.

Notice that it doesn't designate that it has to be used on a specific HP Pavilion model.  However, if you go to the HP site, it says only the Recovery Discs for your system can be used on your system.

So, here's the question:  Can I use the 98 SE recovery disc to install SE on my 98 system or will it hose it up?  If I have a new hard drive, can I load this on the new drive?  Does anybody have experience positive or negative with this situation?

I have some more complex questions about this transition, but I can't move forward at this time if I can't use these SE discs.

William Closure

PS    Much to my frustration, this is my third or fourth attempt to post this, due to errors on my part, and then sending it to PCSoft instead of Build.  Would questions regarding Partition Magic belong on Soft or Build?  (Trying to save me time for next post.)

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml