From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 08:14:32 -0400
I suspect that this has to do with the fact that some chipsets for the
Athlon XP, such as the Nforce2 400 Ultra, support dual channel memory.  When
one of these chipsets is used, the two slots closer together are part of one
64 bit bank and the slot set sligthly apart is on another 64 bit bank.  If
you are using two matched DIMMS you put one of these memory modules in each
of these seperate banks to get the 128 bit bandwidth.

The A7N8X-X uses the non-ultra version of the Nforce2 400 chipset, which
doesn't support dual channel, but I'm sure it is easier for the manufacturer
to still uses the same general motherboard layout for this motherboard as it
uses on the dual channel versions.

Unless the motherboard manual identifies some reason to fill the slots in a
certain order, as you add more modules, you should be able to use them in
any constellation.

By the way, the AU13 is a motherboard that supports dual channel memory,
which is automatically enabled when you use one DIMM in slot one and another
DIMM in either slot 2 or 3.  These DIMMs should be identical for dual
channel to work properly.  If you are only using a single memory stick, it
shouldn't matter where it is placed.  If you are using two non-matched
modules, you can place them in slots 2 and 3 for single channel operation.

John Sproule