Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 12:17:17 -0400
From: "The Stephensons" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 9:49 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Getting 2 computers to access the internet over a network

Hello all!

I am working with a client, trying to set up a network, mostly to give
cable internet access (through Adelphi) to both of their computers. I
got the network up and going through a Linksys router (with a wan port
and three 10/100 receptacles - factory default IP address is
192.168.1.1). However, to make the network work, I had to assign static
IP addresses - the usual 192.168.1.x in the various network
configurations of each computer (one ME, the other XP).

The modem has an Ethernet and a USB port, both of which are plugged
in(!) When Adelphi first connected them up, the modem was connected
directly to the ME computer via USB. They added the router later. When
connected via the USB connection, both computers (individually - not
over the network) can access the internet no problem. When only one
computer (the ME) is connected via USB, the other cannot use the
internet. When no USB connection is used, neither machine can access the
internet.

I allowed the router to do DHCP and neither the network nor the internet
worked. I even read the manual!

So I was wondering if you might have any tips or troubleshooting ideas
that I could use to solve this problem. Methinks that there is a
checkbox somewhere that I've missed <grin>.

I install cable modems so I know what's wrong.
Your cable provider has set up your account using the MAC of the cable
modem. This will stay the same no matter which computer you connect to.
In order for you to be able to use the router, you'll have to get your
provider to use the MAC of the WAN side of your router instead of the USB
MAC.
Also, on most cable modems, when you plug in the USB connector; it will shut
down the ethernet port of the cable modem. This is normal. Don't use both
cables at the same time.
In the mean time, set both computers to DHCP, automatically obtain IP, and
let the router handle them. That way you'll still be able to share between
computers.
You won't be able to have both computers online UNTIL you give the cable
company the MAC of the router.
And just in case; The MAC is the hard coded physical address of each network
device, a 12 digit hexadecimal number that is unique to each device. It has
the form of
00:00:00:00:00:00 or 00-00-00-00-00-00. The first three bytes signify the
manufacturer. i.e.: 00:01:03 is usually 3com.

I hope this helps.
Winston Pike

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>