From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:26:43 -0700
Here is a link to a discussion form that shows that there is a problem with
how Windows 2000 and XP shuts down on some systems that use ACPI. Mainly,
Windows does not give enough time to finish a write before turning the power
off. Microsoft even admits that this could be a problem with IDE drives and
recommends the use of SCSI for data integrity!

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1050010940

It seems that all that Microsoft needs to do is add some delay to the
shutdown logic to allow drives to finish writing. My question to the list is
this: Does anyone know how to send a message to Microsoft on this bug? There
is a reporting mechanism for applications, but for the OS, Microsoft seems
to have turned a deaf ear.

Peter
The NoSpin Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: