From:
"Steven J. Wolfe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 07:59:07 -0600
I keep seeing this all the time, and want to make a suggestion to others as
well. There is another way of removing all your devices in device manager!
It is easy and quick, and has worked quite well for me in the past. But I
still have to insist that you do this only when neccessary.!!!

This method requires a small registry change. Be forwarned if you are not
familiar with editing the registry, then stay away from this method.
But.....

First click Start | Run | in the box type  regedit

Next look for and click on the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE , then
right click the Enum folder, and delete it!! At this point you have deleted
all you hardware from the Device manager, and you can reboot!!! Be aware
that you will probably be rebooting several times to setup all hardware.
After Windows is done setting up all your hardware, you may still have a few
double entries, be sure to check them to be sure.

Good Luck,  Steve Wolfe