From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 15:30:09 -0500
Actually, the processors that should work on your motherboard go up to an
Intel FCPGA PIII-1000mhz.  However, if you already are running a
PIII-800mhz, I'm not sure that this 25% boost in speed will be enough to
make a significant difference.

There is a FCPGA2 PIII (also referred to as the Tualatin PIII), but your
motherboard will require an adapter, such as one made by Powerleap, before
it could use one of these newer PIIIs (or the newer Celerons, for that
matter, which also come in a Tualatin version).  These Tualatin processors
go up to 1.4ghz.  The PIII-1.4 would be a significant jump up in processing
speed from your current processor, but I'm less sure whether the Celeron 1.4
would make enough difference.  It would depend on what sort of applications
you tend to use the most.

Before deciding that you need a faster processor, maybe you could say a bit
more about what is "slow" with regards to your current rig.  Without knowing
more about what isn't working the way that you would like for it to, I would
be reluctant to recommend that you simply throw more processing power at it.

John