From:
jokester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 22:42:51 -0600
Tim:

It seems to me by your own troubleshooting that the E: drive which is your
second maxtor, is the issue.

By your own results, all the drives show up unless E: is connected.  To me
that would signify a problem with that drive.

Is that a data drive only or is there a OS on it?  It you were to connect
it by itself, could you install an OS on it?  Have you tried that specific
drive in another system?  If so, what were the results?  I suspect that
even though the bios detected it, there is something wrong with the drive
or the MBR.

Do you need the data on that drive or can that drive be formatted?  If the
data is disposable, and no other solution, then you may want to consider a
format.  The only other option is I have had when this occurred to one of
my drives is a drive recovery software.

I did purchase my copy, and it was not cheap, nor was it quick...I let it
run overnight and then some.  It was a lot cheaper though then sending it
out for someone else to do it and did recover the data off my drive where
then I reformatted and continued on.

HTH...YMMV

Sam
At 07:05 PM 05 06, 2008, you wrote:

>I have a hard drive that used to work, but recently does not.
>It IS recognized by BIOS, but not by Windows. Here's the setup
>
>Intel Core2 Duo (E6750 @ 2.66GHz)
>Motherboard Asus P5N-E SLI
>NVIDIA nForce 430 Serial ATA Controller onboard
>
>c: WDC hard Drive = bootdisk (SATA)
>d: Maxtor drive (IDE) [formatted NTFS]
>e: Maxtor drive (IDE) [formatted NTFS]
>f: CD-ROM drive (SATA)
>
>BIOS finds all these devices at bootup. no problems with c: and f: in Windows
>if both d: and e: are connected, Windows XP Pro SP2 reports only c: and f:
>if only d: is connected, Windows reports c: d: and f:
>if only e: is connected, Windows reports c: and f:
>
>all drives worked at one time in this computer. suspect the trigger was
>failure of old CD drive and multiple connects/disconnects
>
>Notable:
>- same power plug and data cable plug from d: only test were used to
>connect e: only
>- no difference if jumper on e: is switched from CS to Master (both d: and
>e: previously jumpered CS, and only e: connected)
>- no difference if e: is connected by either A or B on IDE cable
>
>-TIM
>
>                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
>                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
>                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>