From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 14:32:55 -0800
NT is indeed <more particular > about hardware because NT does not allow
software to directly access hardware. This explains why many games won't
run on NT.....games often provide their own internal drivers. This is a
unacceptable security risk for NT. There is a NT hardware compatibility
list but you will not find any new cutting edge hardware on it.....like
your board or CPU.  Hardware has to be seasoned and tested for a while
before it make it to the list. NT does not like new and improved.

I can not speak to AMD and NT but I would be surprised if that was your
problem. I am running a NT Server SP4 with a Cyrix 686L 200 on a FIC PA
2007 revision 1.1 board with no problems. This server is also using a
Matrox Mystique with the latest NT divers. Some times NT just doesn't like
your hardware and no amount of tweaking will change that. I once attempted
a Workstation install on a PC that just would not accept it . Sorry I can't
offer more help but now you know it is not your motherboard or your video
card per se. I suggest you start over again and this time let NT format and
check your hard drive so you are positive that it likes it's new
home.....at least at the beginning.

This months PC Computing compares NT to Win 9x with PC smart real world
users and concludes that for the vast majority of users and small
businesses Win9x is the way to go. PC Computing found that 9x was faster,
required far less resources, was much easier to configure and much easier
to troubleshoot. NT is great if you have a lot of hardware resources, are
operating in a network environment where security is a big issue and you
are running native 32 bit apps. I recommend reading this article if you are
considering switching to NT.

Microsoft announced today that they are changing the name of NT5......it
will be known as Windows 2000 and there will be four versions
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server