Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 15:54:42 -0800
On 14 Dec 2001, at 23:56, Abdul Samad Abdul Razzak wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does flash memory have to be "recharged" continuosly like RAM? Is
> that the purpose of the battery on my motherboard? If the battery
> becomes weak does the entire BIOS fail?
>
> Personally I have a new gigabyte motherboard and I recently
> flashed my BIOS and I did not have any problems.
>
> Thanks
> Abdul Samad Abdul Razzak,
> Sri Lanka.

  No.  Flash memory keeps its contents without power, which is why
it's also popular in "Compact Flash" cartidge format for digital
cameras, etc.

  The battery on the motherboard provides power for two basic
functions:

1.  Configuration data is stored in RAM (generally CMOS) that *does*
require a small amount of current to keep its contents.  (This is
"static" RAM, so all it needs is a trickle of power to the memory
circuitry.  "Dynamic" RAM needs somebody to rewrite each and every
memory location every so often, which makes it cheaper but more power-
needy.)

2.  There is an electronic clock, similar to the innards of an
electronic watch (sans display) that keeps track of the time and
date; as part of the boot sequence, the operating system obtains the
current time from this circuit and keeps track of time itself while
up and running.  One of the early signs of imminent battery failure
is that the machine, each time booted, doesn't know what day/time it
is.

DG

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml