From:
Mary-Belle Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:07:53 -0500
I hope this makes sense...I have a new PC, running Win98.  Old PC running Win95.  I'd like to get some of the files from the old PC.  I've followed the directions in Win98 Help for Direct Cable Connection.  No luck.  With the Win98 PC as guest and the Win95 PC as host, I get 'verifying user name and password'  then  'LPT1 parallel port disconnected'.
If I set up Win 95 PC as guest and Win95 PC as host, I have no trouble at all.  I've contacted IBM (new PC manuf.) and they couldn't help.  Even told me it wasn't possible, which I don't believe.  In reading the archives, I found info on data transfer by hooking old hard drive to secondary IDE on new motherboard.  Though I've had past two PC's apart
several times for upgrades, I've never done anything quite like this.  Is this the simplest way, or is there some configuration I should be trying to use the Direct Cable Connection.  I do not have a zip drive or anything that holds enough data on the old PC to sit and copy files.  Thanks for any advice and assistance offered.

Mary-Belle

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html