From:
Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 00:39:42 +1000
There isn't such thing (I mean safe defrag) based on my exp. I have seen not
once but number of times that defrag result lost data and/or damage operation
system (with win95 defrag, win98 defrag and norton utility). The worset one
happened was to my win98 machine at home 4 months ago, it appeared to be good
and successful, but when I restarted computer, I lost my win98 and uncountable
time to re-download software and lost money (I have limited download balance per
month, any extra download cost me money). Since then, I have never done defrag
once at home (in fact I removed defrag from win98), and be very careful to do
defrag at work (I never do it without full backup first -- xcopy HDD).

J Qian