From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:15:35 -0400
Greetings list--
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Whalen - The Computer Valet" <[log in to unmask]>

> >I am wondering if there is a practical limit to the amount of RAM
> >Win98 can properly use. Previous posts have indicated that Windows
> >has a tendency to use all the RAM available especially XP.
>
> In my experience, the 9x kernel won't perform much better beyond 128
> megabytes. Some systems get a minor boost above that. Some actually
> degrade. Mostly, however, I see 128MB as a plateau.
>
> --
> Cheers,

There is also at least one hardware issue connected with Win9x's
use of RAM, and that is what chip set is in use.  (I'm a bit late responding
to this thread, so I don't know if this will be an issue.)  The intel VX
chipset effectively limits the use of installed RAM to 64 MB, unless
one is electronically savvy enough to install a TAG RAM chip.  If this
is a later chip set, this information may not apply.

HTH,

Paul A. Shippert
is a later

---