Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 19:59:35 -0800
Elise wrote

"My computer will Shutdown in XP, but the power will not turn off
unless I
turn it off at the power supply.  When I then put the power
switch to ON,
the power comes back on but the computer will not boot.  My
mother board is an MSI 865PE Neo2.  If I move the jumper to clear the CMOS the
computer will boot, but I get a message saying "CMOS setting is wrong", I've
checked the settings and can't find anything amiss, so I exit setup and the
system boots.
I've changed the HD, removed CD/DVD drives and all external USB
connected hardware and the problem still persists.  I suspect it is my
motherboard.
Has anyone ever experienced a similar problem and was it
fixable, or should I just get a new mob?"

Have you checked your power switch settings?
It seems to me that you're settings are to go to standby when shutting down and to hibernation on starting up. I'm not "in the business", I've just taught myself how to do stuff, so I could be wrong, but here's how to check the settings in case I'm not wrong.
Right click on blank space on desktop. Click on properties on the drop-down menu.
Click "screensaver" tab. Under "Monitor Power", select "Power". I have mine set at "Power scheme"- always on, "Turn off monitor, turn off hard drive, and system standby are: "Never".
Then select the "Advanced" tab. Under "Power Buttons" section, I answered the "When I press the power button on my computer:" as "Shut down".
On the "Hibernate" tab, I don't have "enable hibernation" checked.
On the "UPS" tab, I don't have one, so nothing is checked. AT THE END of checking/changing these tabs, be SURE to check "OK" at the bottom of the window you're working on, otherwise nothing is changed! Sometimes I forget and just click the "x" at the top of the window to close that window and then I have to redo my work.
This seems to do the trick for me. YMMV
Darlene Burgess
Blue Ridge, GA

The FREE service that prevents junk email http://www.mailshell.com