From:
Tom Sykora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 13:45:54 -0500
Over the past few months there have been many posts on heat  and the damage
it causes, which prompted me to investigate my systems.  After buyine a
Radio Shack indoor/outdoor temp monitor, I found my system was running
approx. 25 degrees F over ambient.  I have two UMAX systems, and both use
the same case design that has a 'snap in place' back cover that I found
impedes airflow from the power supply.  Removing that back plastic "cover"
that is only for appearance purposes, reduced the temp over ambient
considerably.

Next I found a  80 mm ball bearing fan that shipped free from a web site
for $6.95 total cost that is rated at 30 cfm.  When I installed this fan on
the front bottom of the case, the noise was unbearable, and heat reduction
was minimal.  After attaching the new fan to the back of the case blowing
air out, I am now happy and the box runs at a consistent 7 to 8 degrees
over ambient.  (The internal temp probe is mounted approx 4 inches from the
processor cooling fan, in the cpu exhaust.)

I doubt I would have done any of this if I had not learned from this list.
Thanks LIsters

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org