From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 09:04:02 -0400
Greetings Rosemary & Terry & list--
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rosemary & Terry Burns" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

I have a Dell desktop computer with Windows 98.  I also use my Dell
Latitude laptop with Windows ME.  Both computers usually reside on the same
desk.  I have them connected to a router and then to my modem.  This works
fine.

Both computers recognized my HP printer; the laptop found the HP printer on
my desktop and printed when requested.
Recently, I purchased a Lexmark X6170 four-in-one printer.  I connected it
as per instructions.  I was able to install the print drivers to my desktop
and it works fine.

But...I cannot figure out how to get my laptop computer to 'see' the
Lexmark printer. I have tried numerous ways to attempt to get my laptop to
see the print drivers on my desktop but I cannot understand how to do this.

I would be grateful to learn how to set things up so that I can use my new
Lexmark X6170 from both my desktop and laptop.
Sincere thanks.

Also, I still haven't figured out how to share files between my laptop and
desktop
--------------end of original message---------------

Judging by the fact that both computers will print to your HP printer,
I would have to assume that file and printer sharing has been enabled
on the desktop computer.  This being the case, have you taken the
step of sharing the new printer and any folders that you want the other
computer to have access to? (This applies to both the laptop and the
desktop.)

Go to the printer folder on the desktop, locate the new Lexmark,
right click on the icon, then click on the "Sharing" tab.  Click on
the "Share this printer" radio button, and give it whatever share
name you want to use.  Do the same for any folders you want to
share.  (Keep in mind that is usually best not to share the root of
the hard disk for security reasons.)  This procedure should enable
the laptop to "see" the new printer and whatever folders you have
shared.  I have seen it happen though that you must restart both
computers to 'complete the share.'

HTH,

Paul A. Shippert

                     visit our download web page at: