From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 09:06:50 -0500
I have a Viewsonic LCD and it will allow me to set
the resolution to other things. This means you "can"
see things larger, like you want... Smaller Resolution
"numbers" means things look bigger on the screen.

(This is done in Win-XP, but older versions will be similar.)
Right click on a blank spot on your Windows desktop.
Select Properties.
A Display Properties window will open.
Click on the Settings tab.
In the Screen Resolution part, slide the pointer to the left
"to make things look bigger" later...
Then hit Apply.
You may or may not be asked to re-boot. That depends
on other settings. If you change ONLY the setting I said above,
this should be safe to try.

Disclaimer:
If the ABOVE does not work, or is not adjustable,
Do NOT change the Monitor, or the Video drivers,
or the Video card type (while there) since that "can" cause problems
that might not be fixable with a simple e-mail exchange.

In answer to your second part, If the 17" monitor is larger than the
current LCD monitor, things will look slightly bigger using the SAME resolutions.
That is NOT important, as you should not need to buy that to "fix" what
you seem to want to do...

                                               Rick Glazier